Monday, April 19, 2010

Copyright Assignment



I found this first video in the Diigo group as an example of a student project about The Giver. It seemed that most of the video was their original footage, except perhaps for the pictures at the end. All of the clips would have been short enough to use anyway, but would have needed a citation if they weren't original. The only problem area seems to be the music, as it played for about a minute and a half, which is over the 30 second limit. They did cite the artist in the description of the video, but maybe they should have also included a citation within the video itself (and used clips from a couple different songs so they wouldn't exceed the length requirement.)




This is another student movie trailer for The Giver. I really like the idea for this project! The students did a great job. Again, it seemed that they filmed most of the images themselves. I wasn't not sure about the music; I couldn't tell if it was clips from different songs or all one track that kept changing tempo. When I looked through the comments, I saw that the student posted the sources in response to a question: "1st part was titanic, 2nd was pirates of the carribean 3 and last was harry potter 5" The music should have been cited and probably the clips were still a little too long. I think this would be the biggest potential problem for student multimedia, so I will need to inform my students about the 30 second guideline if I have them make multimedia projects in my class.

2 comments:

  1. Aren't the guideline different for students than they are for educators? Just wondering.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not really. Pretty much the only difference is that students can keep their projects forever but teachers are supposed to erase them after two years if they don't have permission from the copyright holders.

    There is a bunch of information here:
    http://www.byuipt.net/teachingwithtechnology/?page_id=136
    The third video is about multimedia projects.

    ReplyDelete